On Detours

 


de·tour
/ˈdēto͝or/
noun
  1. a long or roundabout route that is taken to avoid something or to visit somewhere along the way.
    "he had made a detour to a cafe"

On Detours

They say that there are three main types of origin stories – trauma, destiny, and chance. My path to professional satisfaction is a combination of all three.

I had to get over the trauma of my upbringing and the brainwashing that happened to me (and my generation of women) - believing I was not worthy of pursuing a non-traditional career that made me feel good and honored my natural abilities and gifts. I had to recognize (and re-write) my destiny as I exhibited a deep interest and aptitude for theatricality at a very young age. And I had to acknowledge/embrace that it was by chance that I was led back to my origin story on multiple occasions.

While I claimed for decades that chance was the leader of the pack in my central origin story, the truth was that I had suppressed many childhood memories that would have given anyone clear insight into my destined path – had they only been looking.

Upon retrospect, it appears that ability, awareness, opportunity, resources, support (family and community), and finally, desire are just a few of the many varying factors that have to be calibrated in such a way that the combination is unlocked for maximum potential. 

The interesting thing about detours is that eventually, you will get to where you were originally headed. After all, a detour is just an alternative route. Good or bad? Hard to say. Especially if the journey was worth the ride.


Comments

Popular Posts